Kingwood Underground
the heart and soul of our Kingwood, Texas family
Login - Create Account - Help
Clean out your garage on Kingwood bookoo! Or find local garage sales on Yard Sale
KU Live!

HOW to receive financial aid to deal with flooding?

who's talking here?

SagaciousSighFiGurl 2
Miss Understanding 1
TinktheSprite 17
sheddy 1
TXborn86 3
Ima Nonymous 1

     » send to friend     » save in my favorites     » flag dangerous topic flag as a dangerous topic

TXborn86 --- 347 days ago -

I did not flood myself, but several of my family and friends in Kingwood have experienced total loss due to the recent flooding from Hurricane Harvey. Furthermore, the individuals I am trying to research for did NOT have flood insurance & I am trying to avoid them taking further loans.

The immediate "clean-up" portion (tearing out sheetrock/insulation, furniture, etc.) has already been completed. But I'm trying to think of ways to aid in their long-term recovery (rebuilding and replacement of lost items). With the SURPLUS of crowdfunding sites already on the internet (GoFundMe, YouCaring, etc.), I'm trying to research extra ways they could receive monetary aid for their long-term/rebuilding process.

Many individuals / organizations have donated to nonprofits (such as Red Cross) or relief funds (as with JJ Watts ever-growing fund). But, how do private individuals, affected by this recent flooding, apply for financial aid and tap into these resources???

Again, this is NOT for me...I'm just trying to be creative on how I can be helpful for the long-term picture for those who've lost everything due to Hurricane Harvey.

Thanks to all for your feedback! 

SagaciousSighFiGurl (Mod) --- 347 days ago -

Have them file a claim with FEMA. Go to FEMA. Gov. People are getting assistance even without flood insurance. 

TXborn86 --- 347 days ago -


Thanks for the response. However, as I understand, FEMA will only give UP TO a certain amount if you're in a particular income group. Correct?

Are there organizations that give irrespective of this constraint? 

SagaciousSighFiGurl (Mod) --- 347 days ago -

I read around on their site and never saw anything about income? I just don't know though. You can just call and get the real truth before crossing them off your list.

That aside, people are giving millions and millions to local charities and groups. There are so many. JJ watts has 27 M in donations. Maybe check them out. 

Miss Understanding --- 347 days ago -

You can just call and get the real truth before crossing them off your list.

Nutso if you think FEMA is available by phone! 

sheddy --- 347 days ago -

I have also been wondering how people get help and where all the money goes that was donated. The money given to Red Cross. Is it used here in Texas or do they keep it so they respond to the next disaster? I feel like JJWatts will see that the money he raised will go where it needs to go, since his name is attached. I feel so sorry for people who flooded. Even with flood insurance, it has to be overwhelming. I can't imagine having a mortgage and having to do repairs without any type of insurance. I just hope the money doesn't go into someone's back pocket. 

TXborn86 --- 347 days ago -

SagaciousSighFiGurl: Already been down that road...but as Miss Understanding pointed out, it is a challenge getting any real headway with them right now

Sheddy: Good point...that's the HEART of my question. A lot of people are donating to charities and organizations, but how does one TAP INTO them...I don't know??? 

TinktheSprite --- 347 days ago -

Here's a little something.Missed Work Because of Harvey? CLICK HERE

People who live in, work in, or travel through the following counties have until Sept. 29 to apply: Colorado, Fayette, Hardin, Jasper, Jefferson, Montgomery, Newton, Orange, Sabine, San Jacinto and Waller counties.

People who live in, work in, or travel through the following 29 counties have until Sept. 27 to apply: Aransas, Bee, Brazoria, Calhoun, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Goliad, Harris , Jackson, Kleberg, Liberty, Matagorda, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Victoria and Wharton counties. 

TinktheSprite --- 347 days ago - 

TinktheSprite --- 347 days ago -

How flood victims can get financial help 

TinktheSprite --- 346 days ago -

Help with flood affected property taxes:
Property Damage Feature Added to HCAD App

Harris County homeowners who suffered damage from Hurricane Harvey can report damage to HCAD through its upgraded app available for Apple or Android phones. You can also report damage at 713.812.5805 by providing your name, address, phone number and account number, if you have it, along with the type of property damage and amount of water you received. You can also email that information to . Reporting property damage now will help the appraisal district identify the most damaged neighborhoods and properties to help homeowners next year when property is reappraised. 

TinktheSprite --- 346 days ago -

Help with electricity bill 

TinktheSprite --- 345 days ago -

Help with insurance 

TinktheSprite --- 344 days ago -

Your rights as a renter after a flood 

Ima Nonymous --- 343 days ago -

FEMA and the Small Business Association just opened up local offices to help flood victims.

The nearest office to Kingwood is at Greenspoint Mall: 263 Greenspoint Mall, Houston (open daily, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.).

You might have better luck talking to someone face-to-face than over the phone. 

TinktheSprite --- 343 days ago -

"If you did not have an FHA-insured mortgage prior to the disaster, you are still eligible to participate in the Section 203(h) program. FHA also relaxes many of its lending requirements, such as its minimum down payment.

Borrowers may receive 100 percent financing, but need to have a credit score of at least 500."

FHA Loans for disasters 

TinktheSprite --- 343 days ago -

H. Harvey Resource Guide 

TinktheSprite --- 342 days ago -

Disaster loan information  

TinktheSprite --- 342 days ago -

Harvey Food Assistance  

TinktheSprite --- 342 days ago -

Tax Relief for Harvey Victims 

TinktheSprite --- 341 days ago -

This is information from a 1988 KHS Alumni.

Compensation fir flooding-No Insurance 

TinktheSprite --- 336 days ago -

Want to Get the Max out of FEMA? 

TinktheSprite --- 336 days ago -

Want to Get the Max out of FEMA? 

TinktheSprite --- 336 days ago -

Apply fir a grant. Lake Houston Area Relief FundGrant Application  

page 1
Login to add your comments!

see more discussions about...


Online now:
hit counters

Terms of Service - Privacy Policy - Ice Box

Kingwood Underground