The area further south of the river, near the Atascocito Road, was known as Dunman's Prairie. Joe Dunman, son of early settler Joseph Dunman, owned land here and opened a school in 1873. Lord was not able to survive as a town. In February 1886, the U. S. Post Office in Lord was closed. Pleasant Humble took over responsibility for the local mail, most likely out of his store or home. Local legend states that mail carriers from other towns were instructed to "deliver to Humble," meaning Pleasant Humble. Through continued use of this phrase, "Humble" eventually became the name of the town. Whether this story is true or not, when the application was made to have a U. S. Post Office established in his town in August 1886, the official name of the town on the application was listed as "Humble, Texas." Pleasant Humble became the town's first postmaster in 1886 and was also elected as the local Harris County Justice of the Peace in May 1887. The pronunciation of the town name was based on the way Pleasant Humble spoke his last name with a silent "H", so the town name was pronounced as "Umble."